The season is upon us and we don't have to go far from our doorstep to experience the spirit of the holidays. Activities, like setting up our decorations, attending the town holiday festival, singing the songs of the season, and finding that perfect gift, can all bring up feelings of cheer. The reality, however, is that many people feel isolated and lonely this time of year and seniors can be especially vulnerable. The seasonal focus on family traditions and close friendships can often bring sadness to those who are not as able as they once were.
There is a lot of pressure, and we are all busy, but taking a few minutes and using some of these tips can definitely help brighten a loved ones holiday season this year.
- Remember what the season is all about. Spending time with family and enjoying each other should definitely be high on the priority list. Taking the time to just to sit and talk (and listen) to our aging loved ones this time of year can make a world of difference. Watch old holiday movies, do crafts, play games; whatever you choose, know that giving your time can be more precious than any gift.
- Visiting or contacting seniors in long-term care on a regular basis can help dispel feelings of solitude during the holidays. If they are unable to join you, bring the festivities to them.
- This time of year, we often attach favorable memories to a special ornament, treat, or tradition. Help aging loved ones reminisce about these memories by assisting them with decorations, special meals, and other trappings of the season.
- If they are up for it, include elders in your traditions and celebrations. Simplify your plans to incorporate them and continually remind them of how important they are to you and your family. Be careful not to act like you are doing this out of some holiday duty. Above all, show them that they are loved.
- Don't put too much on your plate or stress yourself out. Take some time to slow down and enjoy yourself this holiday.
We hope these tips will help you spend quality time with your loved ones this season. If Home by Choice can help with any services that would otherwise distract you from what matters during the holidays, please contact us to set up a free consultation.
From all of us at Home by Choice, happy holidays to you and yours.