With the holidays just around the corner, this is normally a time of joy where everyone is in the holiday spirit. Although most are excited for the holidays, there are some who associate the holidays with loneliness and isolation. This year, help your elderly loved one feel included in all the festivities so they can enjoy the holidays just as much as you do. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- They have a voice, so listen to them. Even if it's about negative topics, their voice needs to be heard. By talking with them and being sympathetic to their feelings, it will help them.
- Make them feel included as much as possible. Sometimes they need a reminder of how important they are to your family and a great part of the holidays.
- If they are in a senior home, make sure you visit them on a regular basis during the holidays.
- Call your senior's friends and plan an event during the holidays where your loved one will get the chance to see them.
- The most important thing to do this holiday season is to spend time with them. They need to know that you still care about them and love them.
- Give them a great Christmas present by setting up services with Home by Choice. These services will make everyday tasks much easier for your loved one. Visits can be done as little as once a week. The caregiver can do laundry, grocery shop, light housekeeping and take them out to their favorite places to visit. Call (352) 376-4074 to set up an appointment.
Time is precious, make this holiday season the best one yet and remind them how special they are.